Producing an aerodynamic bicycle that rides like a traditional road bike has proven to be the most elusive quest for bicycle designers. The problem has been that as a bicycle’s shape becomes more aerodynamic it sacrifices stiffness. So the factory is forced to use more carbon fibre to restore the stiffness necessary to perform like a traditional road bike. Unfortunately, all that extra fibre makes the bike heavier and undermines both the bike’s comfort and road feel. One of the keys to a great aerodynamic bike is to start with the cleanest possible airflow at the front of the bike. What you don’t want to do is explode that airflow the way a truck does. That’s why we designed our OTIS—One Total Integration System. OTIS begins with an integrated bar and stem to eliminate the face plate and bolts that immediately create unnecessary turbulence as part of the bike’s leading edge. The bar and stem mount to a proprietary dual-clamp external steerer fork. This external steerer provides the bike with a more aerodynamic leading edge than a traditional head tube can provide and gives the bike more surface area for the wind to attach as it passes over the frame. The external steerer design also improves the front-end stiffness of the bike without adding a massive weight penalty.
The One is unusual in that its most distinctive feature—the Twin Vane Split Downtube—was created in order to improve the bike’s stiffness and ride quality, not its aerodynamics. Even so, we know that smaller structures create less turbulence because they disturb the airflow less, so the Twin Vane Split Downtube gives the air coming off the front wheel more options for smooth flow. The benefit is tangible and we’ve measured the benefit of the Twin Vane Split Downtube to be 100g at 25 mph when compared to a traditional down tube design.
Ideas like these don’t just fall out of the sky. We partnered with bf1systems, a respected engineering firm that has provided aerodynamics expertise to Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Maserati and multiple F1, Moto GP and WRC teams.
Whilst aerodynamics are a big part of the One, we include CeramicSpeed bearings in the headset and bottom bracket because we know that bearing drag can hurt the performance of any bike and we refuse to make such an obvious compromise with our bikes.
As proud as we are of the One’s aerodynamics, we are even prouder of how it rides. This is a bike that rides and feels like a traditional road bike and feels just as lively during standing efforts as any high-end road bike. The measure of a great road bike is its ability to carve the turns of an Alpine descent at race pace, and the One provides the balance in handling, road feel and stiffness you expect from a premium bike, and it does all this while providing an exceptional aerodynamic advantage.
Our attention to detail on the ONE is absolute, from precisely controlling the material and resin production process, right down to everyday practical detailing that ensures that assembly and maintenance are as refined as the ride itself:
- UCI legal
- Our frame laminate design and manufacturing process ensures that we put the waste into the garbage can and not into the frame; using a computer program called Fibresim, each layer is specifically cut to minimise any overlaps or extra materials where they are not required. The result: the strongest, lightest frame possible.
- The ONE frame is made with three different carbon types, each selected for different performance characteristics. Standard Modulus, Medium Modulus and High Modulus Pitch Fibre. While the first two are common to the cycling industry the last – the Pitch Fibre – is far more rare because it’s difficult to work with and comes with very high cost. It is, however, the lightest and stiffest carbon available for bike frames that can be manipulated.
- Choose from 15 possible permutations of our OTIS integrated bar width/stem length options for a precisely tailored fit: five stem length options: 90, 100, 110, 120 and 130mm; three bar width options: 400, 420 and 440mm.
- Direct mount rear brake is tucked behind the bottom bracket for optimum aerodynamics.
- Fully sleeved cable routings ensure crisp shifting and braking performance, improve aerodynamics and aesthetics and ensure effortless practicality with hassle free cable assembly and maintenance.
- The ONE has ample tyre clearance to allow the comfort and performance benefits that come from using wider, higher profile tyres – up to 23mm.
- The hidden seatpost clamp contributes to the ONE’s clean and uncluttered aesthetic and improves aerodynamics.
- The BB386EVO bottom bracket system is extremely light, exceptionally stiff and is compatible with the majority of aftermarket cranksets, including: BBRight, BB386 EVO, standard Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo 24mm external-type cranks.
OPTION: FRAME, FORK, BAR, STEM
- Frame: RGi Carbon construction, compact pro race geometry, internal cable routing
- Fork: RGi Carbon, single OTIS, full monocoque, 1-1/8″ upper and lower
- Headset: Cane Creek 1-1/8″ Custom Headset
- Bottom Bracket: Ceramic Speed PF30 24mm bearings standard, 30mm bearings optional
- Saddle: fi’zi:k Arione R1 Carbon
- Stem: Factor OTIS RGi Carbon integrated aero system
- Handlebars: Factor OTIS RGi Carbon integrated aero system
- Tape: Factor Hi Grip tape